Friday, March 25, 2011

And the 2ww begins!

Alex gave me the HCG shot last night, and honestly it wasn't nearly as horrible as I was expecting it to be. I think my main problem is that I am terrified of needles, and I decided to research via Youtube before the injection. There I found multiple women screaming out as they received their shots. I think the worst was a demonstration video where the nurse stabbed the needle rather roughly. So, I had just really worked myself up before the shot. In the end I sobbed in terror, tearfully accused DH of not knowing what he was doing when he almost forgot to clean the area, and then felt silly as I happily sipped my banana pudding reward milkshake. :) My bum is still sore, but all is well.

The IUI today was a little stressful. DH came home from work and we began the journey. We, of course, got lost because we had to go to a different location in order to wash the gold. When we eventually arrived, twenty minutes late for the appointment, things went smoothly for a bit. DH performed well, and the results were pretty good. He produced 37.8 million with 35% motility. After the wash he had 11 million with 84% motility. I think that's pretty good, right? We received the gold and were told to get it to the hospital and injected within the next 2 1/2 hours.

At this point, of course things go downhill. We spent half an hour stuck in traffic. We finally got to the labour and delivery ward, and were sitting in the waiting room for another half hour. Being Muslim and preferring not to have men (other than DH) dealing with my lady parts, I requested a female physician, but said I would take a male if need be. They nurse said it would be no problem whatsoever. When we were eventually called back I was a bundle of nerves and excitement. The lady walked us to the room and instructed me to do the routine disrobing. She mentioned that something wasn't in the room and that she'd be right back. After she left I undressed and plopped down on the bed, terrified of moving too much and disrupting my little friends hanging out in my top. So I'm sitting there, and I'm sitting there, and I eventually start reading. After a while I look up at the clock and realize I've been sitting there for thirty minutes. I mention this to DH, and he goes out to ensure that we weren't forgotten. The nurse told him that they were just waiting on the doctor to finish. Apparently there were only three female doctors on duty, one of which was in surgery, one was in the E.R., and the other was seeing patients. She assured him that it would be very soon, and sent him back. At this point the little guys have been hanging out for an hour and a half, and I was getting nervous. I went back to my reading and eventually noticed that another 45 minutes have passed. This makes it two hours and fifteenish minutes. We had fifteen minutes to get those suckers in or else this was shot. I panicked and told DH to tell them I didn't care if it was a monkey who was performing the procedure, I just needed it done! I'm sure he didn't phrase it quite like that, but he came back saying a male doctor told him he was on his way. At this point I am beginning to feel a bit of relief. Everything is going to be done just in the knick of time. So I'm sitting there and I'm sitting there, and I'm sitting there. Another twenty minutes go by and I start to tear up. I was so angry that I just had to be picky and this was all my fault. Then the doctor walks in apologizing for the wait. I explained my concerns, and he informed me that I had approximately eight hours before they sample 100% had to be injected. I felt as if a massive weight had lifted off of me haha! He assured me that it was fine and our chances weren't going to go down at all. He quickly did the procedure (which was a little uncomfortable, but fine) and then I just had to lay there for thirty minutes.

All in all, besides my mini panic attack, it went pretty well! Now comes the worst part, the waiting. I know I'm going to want to start testing within a week, but I'm so afraid to! I'm so afraid that I'm going to test and get excited over a BFP just to find out that it was the remaining HCG... Generally how long did you ladies wait?


1 comment:

  1. How exciting! The IUI is done! That wait sounds stress causing for sure! But it all turned out ok! Try to wait as long as possible to test if you can. I have received a positive 10dpiui, but wait till 12 days if you can. But I'm here to support you no matter what you do! :)